Black Agate VS Black Onyx – What’s The Difference?DearBeads
Black agate and black onyx are two very popular gemstones. Actually they are the same mineral – Chalcedony. They share the same black color, and have similar appearance. However, there are a few key differences between the two:
Difference Between Black Agate And Black Onyx
- Mineral Composition: Black agate is a variety of chalcedony, which is a form of microcrystalline quartz. It often contains bands or stripes of different colors, but when it’s completely black, it’s commonly referred to as black agate.
- Appearance: Black agate can have a solid black appearance, but it may also exhibit bands or layers of black and white, or other colors. These bands can be wavy or straight.
- Formation: Black agate forms when silica-rich groundwater percolates into cavities or voids in rocks and then slowly cools and solidifies, creating the characteristic banding patterns.
- Durability: It has a hardness of about 6.5-7 on the Mohs scale, which makes it relatively durable and suitable for jewelry.
- Metaphysical Properties: In various cultures and belief systems, black agate is associated with protection, grounding, and balancing energy.
- Mineral Composition: Black onyx is also a variety of chalcedony, specifically composed of fine-grained cryptocrystalline quartz. Its black color is usually more consistent and lacks the banding seen in black agate.
- Appearance: Black onyx is typically solid black or occasionally exhibits a very subtle, even layering.
- Formation: Like black agate, black onyx forms through the deposition of silica-rich fluids in cavities within rocks. It’s known for its smooth, sleek appearance.
- Durability: Black onyx has a similar hardness to black agate, ranging from 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale.
- Metaphysical Properties: In metaphysical and spiritual practices, black onyx is often associated with protection, confidence, and self-control. It is believed to absorb negative energy and provide emotional support.
More information you need to know about black agate and black onyx in the current market:
- Treatment: Black onyx is often treated with heat or dyed processing to enhance its color or remove impurities, whereas black agate is typically not treated.
- Appearance: Commonly defined in the market, black agate is a natural black agate that is translucent or opaque. Black agate can have more variation in color and texture, often with white or grey banding. While “Black Onyx” is artificially dyed black and it’s opaque. Therefore, black onyx usually has more uniform coloring and a smoother surface.
- Value: Black onyx is generally considered to be more valuable than black agate due to its consistent color. In the jewelry industry, the dyeing process is very mature, and black onyx has the characteristics of long-lasting wear resistance and long-lasting color. At DearBeads.com, we provide a variety of black agate beads and black onyx beads in many sizes, shapes.
Meanings and Healing Properties Of Black Agate And Black Onyx
In metaphysical and alternative healing traditions, black agate and black onyx are believed to possess certain properties and meanings, as well as potential healing benefits. Here are some common metaphysical properties, healing properties, and meanings associated with black agate and black onyx:
- Grounding and Protection: Black agate is often associated with grounding energy, helping individuals stay connected to the earth and feeling stable. It is believed to offer protection from negative energies and influences.
- Balance and Harmony: Black agate is thought to help balance emotions and bring harmony to the wearer’s life. It is sometimes used to alleviate stress and anxiety.
- Healing: In alternative healing practices, black agate is said to have healing properties related to physical ailments, such as improving circulation, digestion, and relieving skin disorders. It may also help with emotional healing and letting go of past traumas.
- Chakra Alignment: Black agate is associated with the root chakra, which is located at the base of the spine. It is believed to help align and balance this chakra, promoting feelings of security and stability.
- Protection: Black onyx is often considered a powerful protective stone, helping to absorb and transform negative energies. It’s believed to act as a shield against psychic attacks and harmful influences.
- Strength and Self-Confidence: Black onyx is associated with inner strength and self-confidence. It is believed to help individuals overcome challenges, boost their willpower, and develop resilience.
- Grounding and Focus: Like black agate, black onyx is thought to provide grounding energy, helping individuals stay centered and focused. It can assist in maintaining a clear mind during meditation and decision-making.
- Healing: In alternative healing practices, black onyx is believed to support physical healing processes, such as improving bone health and helping with issues related to the teeth, nails, and skin. It is also considered beneficial for emotional healing and releasing negative patterns.
- Chakra Alignment: Black onyx is primarily associated with the root chakra, similar to black agate, and is believed to help balance and align this foundational energy center.
It’s important to remember that these metaphysical and healing properties are subjective and vary among different belief systems and practitioners. Additionally, while these stones are believed to have positive effects, they should not replace professional medical advice or treatment when addressing physical or mental health issues.